You must be logged in to reply.

Page 17 of 22 out of 219 messages.

XBee Module Driver discussion thread (contributors)

Reply #160 — Posted 7yr ago
by yngndrw | Senior | 1,037 exp
Reply #160 — Posted 7yr ago
by yngndrw | Senior | 1,037 exp
What I've learnt is that these boards are very useful for XBees:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8687

I'd suggest getting one for each of the XBees that you have - That way you can set-up everything on your PC and do the required configuration before you touch the micro-controller.

I expected the configuration to be a "one off" thing and so only bought one, but I soon found that it was not.
Reply #161 — Posted 7yr ago
by Gralin | Hero | 12,389 exp
Reply #161 — Posted 7yr ago
would the Xbee ZB be good? http://www.digi.com/products/model?mid=3007

It depends what you want to do. Right now we support ZB and 802.115.4 modules. The basic difference is that using 802.15.4 you can do point to multpoint communicatin (start topology) and with ZB modules you get the Zigbee protocol and ability to communicate in a mesh (tree topology). If you want to experiment i suggest buying ZB modules. You can also buy DigiMesh modules as we don't have them and would like to support them as well.

can I just snap that into the Gadgeteer module?
You sure can Wink
Is it smart to get the $299 Xbee kit from digi?
I have this starter kit and the only thing i did with it was pullig the XBee modules out of the gateway and wall router so that i have more to play with Wink The starter kit is useful when you want to learn more about iDigi (Digi device cloud) and write your applications in Python, so no .NET MF.
could I use one gadgeteer board or should I use two or more?

Sure. I use two XBee modules with my Cobra mainboard (UART and USB host) in order to test the driver. This is however due to not having more board. You won't benefint from the RF communication if you just use it for 'loopback' so i suggest buying at least two mainboard to have fun with this.

I would love to contribute to this project.

Great! We are going to release a first beta version any time soon and are looking for people that have the XBee hardware and some spare time to do some tests. Also if you are looking for developing the source code we have plenty of room left in the project Wink
Reply #162 — Posted 7yr ago (modified)
by ransomhall | King | 32,622 exp
Reply #162 — Posted 7yr ago (modified)
Welcome Paul!

I'll add some more hardware choice to those already mentioned. If you like making kits (soldering), check out http://www.adafruit.com/products/126 . A FTDI cable http://www.adafruit.com/products/70 is also needed. The pinout is breadboard compatible, which is why I like it. The FTDI cable gets you USB connectivity. This setup is great if you like to tinker with your hardware.

One note about the XBee module choices. Zigbee (Series 2) and 802.15.4 (Series 1) do NOT work with each other. For a hobbyist, there isn't any compelling reason to go with one or the other IMO. The Zigbee offers a true mesh topology, so there is no single point of failure. Unless you're designing for redundancy (failover), this is mostly just "nice to have". There is a slight difference in the price, but only a few dollars.

Another design consideration - antennas. If you want to maximize range, go with an external antenna. There are two options. RP-SMA is the choice if you do not have an enclosure. u.fL is good if you plan to mount the antenna in something (which you can also do with RP-SMA) and has a smaller footprint on the XBee module. The wire antenna option is fine for most things. The range is not as good, but it is slightly less expensive. Do not go with the chip antenna unless you are only testing over short ranges.

I hope this is not overwhelming! The main goal is to have fun! We look forward to your contributions to the codeplex project.
Reply #163 — Posted 7yr ago
by PaulMineau | Minor | 310 exp
Reply #163 — Posted 7yr ago
by PaulMineau | Minor | 310 exp
thanks everyone, I know much more now. I also read this page on sparkfun which was helpful.

http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/257

in my sparkfun shopping cart I have one Xbee Explorer Dongle and 3 XBee 2mW Wire Antenna - Series 2 (ZigBee Mesh). sounds like I might want an explorer dongle for each Xbee...

I chose the wire atenna because I want to prototype at first, and it seems like the RP-SMA and u.FL require your own attena, once the prototype works then I plan on making enclosures with a 3d printer and doing external attenas. I chose the non-pro version because its cheaper and less power consumption. Seems like once these are working then I can choose other models based on the scenario.

The scenarios I'm kicking around with friends are for home health care and home automation, and then some outdoors for search and rescue where the long range will be helpful.

I think the mesh networks could greatly extend the range, don't the devices act as repeaters? for example in search and rescue, dog collars with xbee on dogs spread over an area would extend the range. in the house hold, if a device can't communicate with one in the backyard, a couple in between could allow that.

for this project it would be great to have a wiki page for new people to suggest what to purchase for their scenario.
Reply #164 — Posted 7yr ago
Reply #164 — Posted 7yr ago
don't the devices act as repeaters?

Yes, routers act as data repeaters and transport packets from origin to destination. With more routers you can extend the range of your network but wit each hop there is significant time overhead (due to ack packets).

for this project it would be great to have a wiki page for new people to suggest what to purchase for their scenario.

Wiki of the original project our driver is based on (http://code.google.com/p/xbee-api/) has something like that. We aim to have something similar.
Reply #165 — Posted 7yr ago (modified)
Reply #165 — Posted 7yr ago (modified)
The Cerberus and Cerb40 firmware will be ready in a couple of weeks. By the time you make an order and get your feet wet with the hardware, it should be ready. If you go with a Cerb40, remember you'll need something other than a USB interface to the XBee. There is a module here that you have probably seen.

Have fun and post pictures!

[edit] Oh yeah, that reminds me. Here's a shot of my test rig for the Gadgeteer XBee driver. I get pretty good reception at this range Smiley
Reply #166 — Posted 7yr ago
Reply #166 — Posted 7yr ago
@ransomhall: The test rig look very professional! I have to do something with mine so people take me more seriously Wink

Got any luck with testing this weekend?
Reply #167 — Posted 7yr ago
Reply #167 — Posted 7yr ago
Thanks. It's nice to be able to send results to the screen instead of VS output window. It was way to nice outside to have gotten very far with testing, though. The gadgeteer project isn't producing a driver installer package as it should, so I'm going to start with a fresh project. There are a couple of prerequisites that need to be installed before the project is created. I'm not sure why it makes a difference what order things get installed, but it seems to, as there is a note in the module builder guidelines about this.

I have had good luck with the PC code so far. I did hit one tricky exception that only happened when I was not stepping through code, so my hunch is it is timing related. I'll post details on the codeplex site.

I wanted to put up a picture of some of the hardware GHI has donated to this project (the Hydra and XBee modules) and let folks know how much these guys rock! Clapping
Reply #168 — Posted 7yr ago
by ianlee74 | Superhuman | 127,688 exp
Reply #168 — Posted 7yr ago
by ianlee74 | Superhuman | 127,688 exp
In case you're looking for some test projects...

"The Largest Collection of XBee Projects on the Web!"
http://xbeewireless.tumblr.com/
Reply #169 — Posted 7yr ago
Reply #169 — Posted 7yr ago
Nice Smiley Now the goal is: we finish the driver and someone from the community makes something useful out of it and submits his project there Wink

Page 17 of 22 out of 219 messages.

You must be logged in to reply.