You must be logged in to reply.

Page 1 of 3 out of 23 messages.

How to generate G-CODE from 3D/2D CAD models?

1 like
Posted 2yr ago
by Dave McLaughlin | Legend | 58,471 exp
Posted 2yr ago
Does anyone know how to generate G-CODE from a CAD drawing?

I have some designs for a plastic case and I would like to use the new milling machine to cut them out.

My initial idea was to use a simple tool to create them but as I already have a 3D model with the cutout details, I could save time if I could directly use the output from them. I can generate DXF etc
1 like
Reply #1 — Posted 2yr ago
by ianlee74 | Superhuman | 127,688 exp
Reply #1 — Posted 2yr ago
Fusion 360? It has some great CAM processes and can generate the G-code. I don't have a CNC so can't give first hand experience but others have said good things about that part of F360.
Reply #2 — Posted 2yr ago
by hagster | Hero | 18,264 exp
Reply #2 — Posted 2yr ago
Will the xcarve Easel software work with a 3040? It might be easier for simple 2D cutouts.

But as Ian says Fusion 360 will definately do it.
Posted 2yr ago
by Mr. John Smith | Legend | 42,263 exp
Posted 2yr ago
by Mr. John Smith | Legend | 42,263 exp
Post has been deleted.
Reply #4 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #4 — Posted 2yr ago
I posted on the forum for the 3D CAD software I use and have been recommended to check out CamBam. Not free after the trial but apparently is easy to use. It can take in DXF which I can export from the 2D cad drawing without all of the dimensions and sheet views etc.

Fusion 360 would be fine but it means remaking the designs. I already have them in Geomagic Design so not looking to use another CAD software if possible.
Reply #5 — Posted 2yr ago
by Brett | Superhuman | 125,590 exp
Reply #5 — Posted 2yr ago
by Brett | Superhuman | 125,590 exp
I'm surprised. Has nobody else thought "G-Code is simple, why isn't he coding it by hand?" Cheesy Shocked No, I don't really think that, just find a CAM processor that suits.
Reply #6 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #6 — Posted 2yr ago
Dave McLaughlin says:
Fusion 360 would be fine but it means remaking the designs. I already have them in Geomagic Design so not looking to use another CAD software if possible.

F360 can also import DXF. However, again this isn't something I've tried so no idea how well that works or how hard it is to get to G-code once you do.
Reply #7 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #7 — Posted 2yr ago
ianlee74 says:

Dave McLaughlin says:

F360 can also import DXF. However, again this isn't something I've tried so no idea how well that works or how hard it is to get to G-code once you do.

Importing DXF, or nearly any other CAD format is easy in F360.

As its free, I definately think its worth checking out before you spend money on a 2.5D toolpath generator with less features.
1 like
Reply #8 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #8 — Posted 2yr ago
I've downloaded and having a look at Fusion 360 and checked out the videos. I might just spring for the full version for work use as it appears to do a lot more than my current CAD software. $300 per year is not a lot when you consider what it offers.
Reply #9 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #9 — Posted 2yr ago
Dave McLaughlin says:
I might just spring for the full version for work use as it appears to do a lot more than my current CAD software. $300 per year is not a lot when you consider what it offers.

Be careful that you understand what version you are meaning. In terms of feature sets, there are really only two versions: Standard ($300/yr) and Ultimate ($1500/yr). The "enthusiast" version is the same as "standard". So, if that's what you're trying now then don't expect you'll get more features for $300. However, for your use I agree that you probably should be paying for the commercial license.

Page 1 of 3 out of 23 messages.

You must be logged in to reply.