You must be logged in to reply.

Page 2 of 7 out of 64 messages.

Second Preview of TinyCLR OS Core Features

5 likes
Reply #10 — Posted 2yr ago
by Gus_ghielectroncs | Employee
Reply #10 — Posted 2yr ago
by Gus_ghielectroncs | Employee
My personal view on this: I LOVE Win10 but if you are putting Win10 in a coffee maker then I want to slap somebody Smiley
6 likes
Reply #11 — Posted 2yr ago
by ianlee74 | Superhuman | 127,688 exp
Reply #11 — Posted 2yr ago
Gus says:
My personal view on this: I LOVE Win10 but if you are putting Win10 in a coffee maker then I want to slap somebody Smiley

Agreed. Coffee beans taste much better. Wink
3 likes
Reply #12 — Posted 2yr ago
by mtylerjr | King | 24,672 exp
Reply #12 — Posted 2yr ago
You put Java in a coffee maker. Duh.
2 likes
Reply #13 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #13 — Posted 2yr ago
Gus says:

In all seriousness, though... As we move more towards voice driven UIs, I don't think its outrageous to start seeing Win10 (w/ Cortana) in devices of every size. However, I think we'll eventually come full circle and develop specialized chips to handle the voice UI services next to a typical smaller micro but that's probably a few more years down the road.
1 like
Reply #14 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #14 — Posted 2yr ago
@ianlee74 - If computing resources continue to grow smaller and cheaper and more powerful and less power-consuming, there really wont be any distinction, I think, eventually. Everything will be an "operating system". More of the code will just be dedicated to interoperating with other smart devices, down to the smallest sensor level. So you have 1% of your code dedicated to the pressure sensor in your sewing needle, and 99% of it dedicated to allowing seamless communications with anything that wants to communicate with it, it wont matter. But that is a ways off, I guess.
Reply #15 — Posted 2yr ago
by mcalsyn | Legend | 48,189 exp
Reply #15 — Posted 2yr ago
by mcalsyn | Legend | 48,189 exp
I'm sorry, but I really don't believe that. If you try to make an OS (or frankly, any software) that tries to work with equal utility on everything from $2 chips up through desktops and servers, you're compromising somewhere. Java and the .net family are the closest we've come, and both of them make trade-offs to pull that off - and trade-offs become substantially more expensive the more constrained your HW platform is.
Reply #16 — Posted 2yr ago
by LouisCpro | Hero | 11,149 exp
Reply #16 — Posted 2yr ago
@njbuch -

You re right. But in this case, dont you think a couple of lines of code is enough on a pic to make a sensor communicate wirelessly or on a serial line with a more important system...and a pic is known to be far less powerful than what is needed to run netmf....and with less power consumption...

What I see is that I dont know where to place netmf on that scale between a pure sensor and a complex IoT solution. ... That was not the case when I started developing on netmf but as Win10 Iot Core appeared, it changed my mind !!!
Reply #17 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #17 — Posted 2yr ago
@cyberh0me -

Should be interesting if you can detail a bit which capabilities are missing in Win Iot and avzilable in netmf ?

Maybe an explanation is there ?
Reply #18 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #18 — Posted 2yr ago
@mcalsyn -

Of course it is not a valuable solution to put an OS on a $2 chip.

My opinion is that sensors will require less and less resources and code to manage inputs, and actuators as well, but the 'brain' of the solution will represent an amount of treatment, services and memory that will justify to go ahead on an os based infrastructure.

Is there a place for someone else between this two points ? I m not sure...
Reply #19 — Posted 2yr ago
by Bauland | Master | 6,336 exp
Reply #19 — Posted 2yr ago
by Bauland | Master | 6,336 exp
To came back to TinyClr, it could be a good option to have tool to update firmware in next version (without installing netmf).

Another suggestion, can we expect to have fez raptor support it ? It would be very nice !!!

Page 2 of 7 out of 64 messages.

You must be logged in to reply.