You have reached the legacy GHI Electronics, LLC website, for the new website please visit here. For the new forum please visit here.

You must be logged in to reply.

Page 1 of 7 out of 64 messages.

Second Preview of TinyCLR OS Core Features

10 likes
Posted 9mth ago (modified)
by John_ghielectroncs | Employee
Posted 9mth ago (modified)
by John_ghielectroncs | Employee
Today we are excited to release the second preview of our TinyCLR OS. It works great with the community edition of the just-released Visual Studio 2017 from Microsoft. All you need to do to get going is install the latest extension, update your device's firmware, and drop the new NuGet packages in your local feed. If you're just now getting started with TinyCLR or just want a quick refresh, take a look at the first news post and the release notes for more information.

Some of the things that exist today in TinyCLR OS:
  • Stable preview firmware for G30, G80, G120, and products based on them.
  • GPIO, UART, SPI, I2C, ADC, DAC, and PWM peripheral support.
  • Full debugging capabilities including breakpoints, source stepping, and variable inspection.
  • Support for Visual Studio 2017 and the new Roslyn compiler with an easy install.
  • Practically unlimited max allocation size eliminating the need for LargeBuffer and special handling of large bitmaps.
  • Improved deployment and startup times.

While this preview includes the core features of TinyCLR OS, there is still a lot to do. Here are a few of the things in progress or under consideration:
  • USB host and client
  • File system
  • Graphics
  • Secure networking
  • Device updates
  • Signal capture and generator
  • Generics
  • Controller Area Network
  • Runtime Loadable Procedures

Starting with this release, we will be providing more frequent updates -- we want you to be part of making TinyCLR OS the best operating system for embedded devices!

TinyCLR OS 0.2.0 Download: http://ghielectronics.com/downloads/TinyCLR/TinyCLR.0.2.0.zip
TinyCLR Release Notes: https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/350/tinyclr-os
1 like
Reply #1 — Posted 9mth ago
by Bauland | Master | 6,336 exp
Reply #1 — Posted 9mth ago
by Bauland | Master | 6,336 exp
Exciting, exciting ... Clapping Clapping Clapping
1 like
Reply #2 — Posted 9mth ago
by Mr. John Smith | Legend | 42,263 exp
Reply #2 — Posted 9mth ago
by Mr. John Smith | Legend | 42,263 exp
Generics! Oye Yea!
Reply #3 — Posted 9mth ago
by User 7412 | Newbie | 10 exp
Reply #3 — Posted 9mth ago
by User 7412 | Newbie | 10 exp
(just want to state that I'm basing my judgement on the first release of TinyCLR...if things have changed...feel free to correct me.)

I still feel like .NETMF is the wrong direction to go. .NET Core would have been a better to implement...or at a minimum...re-work TinyCLR to support .NET Standard (so recompilation of 3rd party packages isn't required.)
1 like
Reply #4 — Posted 9mth ago
by mcalsyn | Legend | 48,189 exp
Reply #4 — Posted 9mth ago
Congratulations. Looks like solid progress.
Reply #5 — Posted 9mth ago
Reply #5 — Posted 9mth ago
Completely agree with cyberh0me, but if you mean "build with the dotnet.exe" tools, that's perhaps not out of the question. If you mean "run the full .net Core stack" then yeah - not feasible.
2 likes
Reply #6 — Posted 9mth ago
by ianlee74 | Superhuman | 127,688 exp
Reply #6 — Posted 9mth ago
by ianlee74 | Superhuman | 127,688 exp
@User 7412 - awesome first post. You might want to complete your profile or post under your actual account if you don't want us to think you're just a troll.
Reply #7 — Posted 9mth ago
by njbuch | King | 26,158 exp
Reply #7 — Posted 9mth ago
ianlee74 says:
@User 7412 - awesome first post. You might want to complete your profile or post under your actual account if you don't want us to think you're just a troll.
I have always suspected you being a troll Whistling

Great progress with TinyCLR, well done!
Reply #8 — Posted 9mth ago
by LouisCpro | Hero | 11,149 exp
Reply #8 — Posted 9mth ago
by LouisCpro | Hero | 11,149 exp
@All

Does it make sense to continue considering the type of processor that can feat TinyCLR, knowing that WinIOT compliant procs do not require anymore to spend a lot of money to build a board than it was few years ago...?

Is the 'OS' based hardware really a problem ? I dont think anymore....

Have a look at the Lattepanda; maybe a board coupling WinIOt and a gadgeteer would be a good competitor instead of an arduino that require another language to be used....
An it will answer the lake of IO that some projects need and dont find in more powerfull Arm procs...not even in Intel one...

What do you think about that ?
Reply #9 — Posted 9mth ago
Reply #9 — Posted 9mth ago
@LouisCpro - this is a very long discussion, dont get us started Wink

The point is that there will always be smaller and smaller devices that is not feasible to run an operating system on. Think needle with pressure sensor for optimal sewing. Run a full OS on that would not make sense. As long as you have the space and power to run a full OS, go do that.

Page 1 of 7 out of 64 messages.

You must be logged in to reply.