You must be logged in to reply.

Page 2 of 2 out of 15 messages.

Microsoft technology, the future

2 likes
Reply #10 — Posted 2yr ago
by Duke Nukem | Legend | 67,053 exp
Reply #10 — Posted 2yr ago
by Duke Nukem | Legend | 67,053 exp
@mtylerjr - I think that Silicon Valley is starting to suffer from age or otherwise has become uncool which is inevitable given the maturing process of companies, so I don't tend to pay much attention to them as I maybe once did.

Buckets of technology are interesting but really it comes down to a simple question of is it better to be a jack of all trades or a king of one. I run into lots of folks who claim that they are experts in a number of different areas which makes me laugh, but really the term 'expert' is so loosely used anymore that it really has become meaningless. Real expertise comes from years of practice with completion of multiple challenging projects, which just isn't done anymore so clearly the plan is to be the jack of all trades, which really falls into line with the mentality of FOMO (fear of missing out) and people hopscotch between different technologies so fast anymore that it keeps the skill bar pretty low.

I'm old and don't really care anymore but I prefer to be an expert in a single technology such that I can build pretty much anything using that technology and don't need all these supporting minion technologies. I'm having lots of fun with UWP (using C# of course) and have been picking projects which target different areas of UWP such that in about three or four years I'll be able to accurately claim a junior expert level and be able to code pretty much anything using that technology. Right now I'm getting schooled in In/Out Process BackGround Tasks and Triggers in UWP for a heavily IoT flavored project I'm working on (with a side order of SQLite). If you aren't learning something new everyday, then you'll never make it to expert, but I'm a journey guy and destinations are brief viewpoints between journeys so in about five years I'll be looking for something new to master.

I get bored with different technologies and like to move on to learn new things. Today I had a company approach me about some security based IoT stuff, both areas I had some expertise in but that was yesterday and I've moved on to new challenges.
Reply #11 — Posted 2yr ago
by mcalsyn | Legend | 48,189 exp
Reply #11 — Posted 2yr ago
by mcalsyn | Legend | 48,189 exp
I agree with most of what you are saying there, but I think it makes more sense to be an expert in algorithms, machine organization, and invariant aspects of computer languages than to become an expert in a narrow application of those things.

That said, one can be pretty successful in a vertical tech silo - just not as well insulated from changes in market demands.
3 likes
Reply #12 — Posted 2yr ago
by godefroi | Legend | 43,071 exp
Reply #12 — Posted 2yr ago
by godefroi | Legend | 43,071 exp
mcalsyn says:

That said, one can be pretty successful in a vertical tech silo - just not as well insulated from changes in market demands.

Absolutely true. If you want to chase the highest salary, you need to be prepared to learn new technologies every day, potentially move around a lot, and likely experience some frustration with your job. If you want to be as comfortable as possible, pick a technology, become an expert, and dig in with an established player.

There's a whole spectrum between these two extremes, as well. Lots of room for everyone to choose an appropriate level of risk vs stability.
Reply #13 — Posted 2yr ago
by mtylerjr | King | 24,672 exp
Reply #13 — Posted 2yr ago
by mtylerjr | King | 24,672 exp
Terrence says:
@mtylerjr - You're gonna love VSCode.

It looks awesome as an IDE. Really awesome.

I spent a few hours trying to switch over my build environment here at work from Slickedit to VSCode, on our Ubuntu machines.

However, I wasn't able to get the paths and json files set up to use the build tools :/
1 like
Reply #14 — Posted 2yr ago
by Terrence | Hero | 12,056 exp
Reply #14 — Posted 2yr ago
by Terrence | Hero | 12,056 exp
@mtylerjr - I bet the vs code guys over on stack could fix you up.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/vscode

Page 2 of 2 out of 15 messages.

You must be logged in to reply.