You must be logged in to reply.

Page 1 of 3 out of 30 messages.

Goodbye Gadgeteer

Posted 2yr ago
by MischaBoender | Senior | 2,736 exp
Posted 2yr ago
I have some gadgeteer stuff lying around, of which most have been collecting dust for quite a while. Think it's time for me to say goodbye to Gadgeteer.

Would someone be interested in this stuff for use at a school or some other teaching project (non-profit)?
2 likes
Reply #1 — Posted 2yr ago
by Gus_ghielectroncs | Employee
Reply #1 — Posted 2yr ago
Why not keep and use them? In fact, I am working with Greg on a demo that runs the new TinyCLR on some gadgeteer hardware.
Posted 2yr ago
by mtylerjr | King | 24,672 exp
Posted 2yr ago
by mtylerjr | King | 24,672 exp
Post has been deleted.
1 like
Reply #3 — Posted 2yr ago
by Bauland | Master | 6,336 exp
Reply #3 — Posted 2yr ago
Gus says:
In fact, I am working with Greg on a demo that runs the new TinyCLR on some gadgeteer hardware.

Good news, I'm wondering if TinyCLR is working on gadgeteer (and which of them: cerberus, spider, raptor ?)
Reply #4 — Posted 2yr ago
by godefroi | Legend | 43,071 exp
Reply #4 — Posted 2yr ago
by godefroi | Legend | 43,071 exp
@Bauland - It would be the other way around. Gadgeteer is a set of libraries and a Visual Studio extension that runs on NETMF. It's not impossible at all that it could be made to work with TinyCLR (which is really just the next version of NETMF, except from GHI instead of Microsoft). I wouldn't hold my breath, though, as Gadgeteer is still owned by MS and is not open source. Nobody knows if it will ever be.
1 like
Reply #5 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #5 — Posted 2yr ago
@godefroi - what I mean I that all gadgeteer gear can be used without any gadgeteer libraries, just like any modules you grab off eBay.
2 likes
Reply #6 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #6 — Posted 2yr ago
@Gus - Yes I hope all old gadgeteer mainboard is compatible with TinyCLR. Modules only need driver to work, they can be done if mainboard can work with TinyCLR (and keep easy connector !).
Reply #7 — Posted 2yr ago
by Brett | Superhuman | 125,590 exp
Reply #7 — Posted 2yr ago
by Brett | Superhuman | 125,590 exp
my take would be that GHI won't build TinyCLR for Cerb family devices. There are none of those devices in recent / current production. Spider most likely will not get it (EMX based, also nothing recently released there), and Spider II and Raptor will (G120 and G400 are certain targets).
Reply #8 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #8 — Posted 2yr ago
@Brett - you are partially right. Some super announcement is coming your way, SOON!
Reply #9 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #9 — Posted 2yr ago
Gus says:
Why not keep and use them? In fact, I am working with Greg on a demo that runs the new TinyCLR on some gadgeteer hardware.

I've been using Raspberry Pi's for my projects (wideband radio receiver, in-car media player, ADS-B plane plotter, multi room audio players, ...), all running on Linux. I do have a Pi running Windows IoT, but that's only to control some stuff through (usb to) serial (if I'm able to get it working).

Even though TinyCLR OS sounds very interesting, and even if my old Gadgeteer mainboards get an update (probably not), they would still be collecting dust.

So back on topic, if anyone is interested, or knows someone who would be interested, please let me know. Maybe it can be put to good use to get kids interested in programming / electronics for example. Otherwise it'll probably end up in storage until it's totally useless...

Page 1 of 3 out of 30 messages.

You must be logged in to reply.