You must be logged in to reply.

Page 8 of 10 out of 94 messages.

Introducing TinyCLR OS: a new path for our NETMF devices

1 like
Reply #70 — Posted 2yr ago
by Gus_ghielectroncs | Employee
Reply #70 — Posted 2yr ago
@Terrence - we don't want to just talk about it and hear any whining. We want to give you a decent download.
Reply #71 — Posted 2yr ago
by Gary_ghielectroncs | Employee
Reply #71 — Posted 2yr ago
Gus says:
@Gary - this tech talk tomorrow will show how hard working you are Wink

I forgot about that video! Banging Head
Reply #72 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #72 — Posted 2yr ago
Gene says:
@Gary - I don't want to be picky but don't you owe me an e-mail?

I actually owe you about 5 emails but I am finally back in the office from the holidays and you are at the top of the good list I have.
3 likes
Reply #73 — Posted 2yr ago
by Mr. John Smith | Legend | 42,263 exp
Reply #73 — Posted 2yr ago
@Gary - Gene's at the top of the good list?

Wow, dude's on a roll.
1 like
Reply #74 — Posted 2yr ago
by godefroi | Legend | 43,071 exp
Reply #74 — Posted 2yr ago
@mtylerjr - If what you imply is true, and I can singlehandedly kill off NETMF, then NETMF is already doomed.

Maybe I am overstating it here. Entirely possible. However, nothing is going to fundamentally change on the performance front until native compilation comes.

Also, I never claimed to be anything other than a curmudgeon, and a grumpy one at that.
Reply #75 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #75 — Posted 2yr ago
@godefroi - interpreted code will never ever run as fast as the compiled code. This is a had fact. What we are talking about is performance improvements, which is still way too early to measure and be concerned about. We are changing how NETMF work and changing the user experience around it. In the *unlikely event* we could not improve performance, TinyCLR OS will still be an amazing and easy way to develop real products very effectively, just like NETMF have served thousands of products for about 10 years.
Reply #76 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #76 — Posted 2yr ago
@Gus - Are you willing to talk about the details of what you're planning to do to improve performance?
2 likes
Reply #77 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #77 — Posted 2yr ago
@godefroi - I don't think that performance is the main goal of netmf or TinyCLR OS. The main goal is ease of use. Effort spend in improving performance would be subject to steep diminishing returns; and it will never be as fast as native. This is because fast/performance is a subjective term. How much performance do you need? What is fast? How much of the application needs to be in RLP for it to work? Its about balance. Now if you want the fastest thing around here then plug in The Module. At 1Ghz A8 + 200Mhz PRUs, it should be plenty of speed. But you have to program it in C and you have to deal with that Debian Nightmare Kernel.

Ultimately until we have C# compiling to code that the processor natively understands; don't hold your breath for performance boosts.
3 likes
Reply #78 — Posted 2yr ago
by Gene | Master | 6,072 exp
Reply #78 — Posted 2yr ago
by Gene | Master | 6,072 exp
This sure has become an interesting thread, I like it.

@cyberh0me - I'm curious what you mean by

as we see with Arduino success easy use is not a needed thing to have success

I was stuck for a short time on a project that used Arduino. In the early phase of the project the scientists working on it loved Arduino because they could get small, simple "proof of concept" instrumentation working quite quickly without a lot of software or hardware engineering expertise on their part. It was only when we needed to turn the proof of concept project into a well engineered system that Arduino became problematic. So isn't it more fair to say something like "Yes, Arduino is really easy to use for simple projects"? But then follow it up with something like "But if you really want to engineer a system from simple to moderately complex, you should take a look at .Net Micro or (in the near future) TinyCLR".
Reply #79 — Posted 2yr ago
Reply #79 — Posted 2yr ago
@Mr. John Smith - I know exactly what the goals of NETMF are, and I know that performance wasn't one of them. You don't design an interpreted system with a goal of hardware efficiency.

Page 8 of 10 out of 94 messages.

You must be logged in to reply.