Hi Gus. Thank you for your reply.
Yeah, I know it is a big ask, and frankly, probably not worth making any either.
If I could get hold of a couple sitting on a shelf somewhere, that would be ideal.
I do have a couple of the ALFAT modules - now renamed F40, so I see, and they were bought when it was a brand new release, so I am pretty sure they have v.1.0 firmware in them, and you could not select anything other then 115k2 default baud-rate. I see by reading around the forums, that the newer firmwares let you select 9600 baud-rate by default, by grounding SPI_CLK but if that is the case, that done, it SHOULD more-or-less then be a drop-in replacement - ignoring size for the moment.
I am going to dig out my ALFAT modules, hook one up to a COM port and TeraTerm(to confirm operation and firmware version in it at present), and then update to the V2.0.0 firmware, which should then enable the 9600 default baud-rate option, which if that works, would probably be 99% of the problems fixed. The other 1% might be just a bit of code change, but the commands all seem to be identical to the earlier uALFAT-TF, so I am hopeful that if I can get the module to default to 9600, then it will work as a replacement - hope, hope.....
Would you agree with that logic?