You have reached the legacy GHI Electronics, LLC website, for the new website please visit here. For the new forum please visit here.

This legacy website will be taken offline at the end of this year. If there is anything that you would like to archive and save for future reference please do so.

You must be logged in to reply.

Page 2 of 2 out of 18 messages.

Amazon Voice Services now with Alexa wake word

Reply #10 — Posted 1yr ago
by ianlee74 | Superhuman | 127,688 exp
Reply #10 — Posted 1yr ago
Brett says:
What I found interesting was the delay between the console showing the wake word was detected and the notification you could continue. If that could be shrunk it could be much more like the full Echo experience!

I was curious about that. Since I don't own an Echo, I wasn't sure what the normal delay was. I assumed that was just the time it took to get a response from the web service. Is that the case with this or is it just taking the Pi longer to respond?
Reply #11 — Posted 1yr ago
by Brett | Superhuman | 125,590 exp
Reply #11 — Posted 1yr ago
by Brett | Superhuman | 125,590 exp
I don't own an Echo either, but the Alec Baldwin ads seem to imply it's all handled in a single sentence, "Alexa play Missy Elliot" rather than "Alexa,,,,, play Missy Elliot".
2 likes
Reply #12 — Posted 1yr ago
by Dave McLaughlin | Legend | 58,471 exp
Reply #12 — Posted 1yr ago
Brett says:
I don't own an Echo either, but the Alec Baldwin ads seem to imply it's all handled in a single sentence, "Alexa play Missy Elliot" rather than "Alexa,,,,, play Missy Elliot".

Correct. The real device has no delay. This is just a feature of the sample. It can be removed with code changes. Something I will be working on.
Reply #13 — Posted 1yr ago
by Mr. John Smith | Legend | 42,263 exp
Reply #13 — Posted 1yr ago
by Mr. John Smith | Legend | 42,263 exp
@Dave McLaughlin - So what causes the delay in the first place?
1 like
Reply #14 — Posted 1yr ago
by HughB | Hero | 18,611 exp
Reply #14 — Posted 1yr ago
Smiley Echo is now available in the UK. I have to say its frickin awesome! The language processing is encredibly good. you don't need to wait for Alexa to respond. Just say the full sentence starting with "Alexa". Its probably the only bit of Tech my wife has ever been excited about and she loves it Smiley
Reply #15 — Posted 1yr ago
Reply #15 — Posted 1yr ago
HughB says:
Echo is now available in the UK. I have to say its frickin awesome! The language processing is encredibly good. you don't need to wait for Alexa to respond. Just say the full sentence starting with "Alexa". Its probably the only bit of Tech my wife has ever been excited about and she loves it Smiley

There is no delay with the real Echo. The delay in the sample is simple enough to get around. The Seeed Studio re-speaker with Alexa voice services also has no delay.

Setup Node-red on a RPi with Moquittoe MQTT and also the Amazon Echo HA Bridge. Now get some modules from Itead Studio and install the MQTT firmware from (tech.scargill.net) and impress your wife with voice controlled lights etc. Smiley
2 likes
Reply #16 — Posted 1yr ago
Reply #16 — Posted 1yr ago
@Dave McLaughlin - I've already got Philips Hue lights and Samsung Smarthtings home Automation and Alexa fully supports both Smiley
I now walk round the house like a BOSS Smiley
Reply #17 — Posted 1yr ago
Reply #17 — Posted 1yr ago
Just ran across this Matrix Creator HAT. Made me think of this thread.

https://creator.matrix.one

Page 2 of 2 out of 18 messages.

You must be logged in to reply.