You must be logged in to reply.

Page 1 of 7 out of 67 messages.

First Print Purchase (advice)

Posted 3yr ago
by Skewworks | Legend | 69,841 exp
Posted 3yr ago
It's time for me to have a really nice enclosure for my flagship NETMF device and I've spent a good amount of time designing something simple and elegant. Now I need a HQ print. My printer is definitely not up to the task, so I'd love suggestions for a print or mold house.

Pictures attached.

Case Details:
Angled base about 254mm from bottom to top (measured on the angle), 200mm wide.

Hardware Details (front)
7" New Haven Capacitive Touch Screen
Metal latching lit red ring switch (https://www.adafruit.com/products/916)

Hardware Detail (back)
SD slot
USB 1x
USB DP
1 like
Reply #1 — Posted 3yr ago
by ianlee74 | Superhuman | 127,688 exp
Reply #1 — Posted 3yr ago
1 like
Reply #2 — Posted 3yr ago
by Dave McLaughlin | Legend | 58,471 exp
Reply #2 — Posted 3yr ago
by Dave McLaughlin | Legend | 58,471 exp
ianlee74 says:
http://www.shapeways.com/

Second them.

Is the bottom part of your design solid? That will make it expensive as the cost from Shapeways is volume of material based. You can upload your STL file and their system will calculate the cost and display this for each of the materials they offer. Be prepared to get shocked at the precious metal offerings Smiley

Your design looks a little top heavy. The LCD modules are not exactly light weight what with using a steel chassis. Have you considered making the bottom hollow on the underside and bonding a piece of metal to it?

PS.. Love those Adafruit switches. I use the white ring one.
Reply #3 — Posted 3yr ago
Reply #3 — Posted 3yr ago
@Dave McLaughlin - I'm countering the top weight of the LCD by placing everything else (Raptor, power, SD, USB at the bottom.

Shapeways is definitely a good suggestion, by far the best price I got. It still ended up being a bit more than I want to spend at the moment, so I've come up with an alternate lasercut case to try. We'll see how it turns out.
2 likes
Reply #4 — Posted 3yr ago
Reply #4 — Posted 3yr ago
Skewworks says:
Shapeways is definitely a good suggestion, by far the best price I got. It still ended up being a bit more than I want to spend at the moment, so I've come up with an alternate lasercut case to try. We'll see how it turns out.

Yuck... Shoot me an .STL file. I can probably print you something that looks decent. A little sanding and some spray paint and no one will ever guess it wasn't injection molded.
Reply #5 — Posted 3yr ago
Reply #5 — Posted 3yr ago
I've done some rework of the case. It's slightly shorter (though still just a tad too talk for 200mm beds), I've reduced the material volume by a good bit, pushed the legs out further, moved the components, and updated the curves.

What do we think? Anymore feedback on this one?
Reply #6 — Posted 3yr ago
by EvoMotors | Master | 8,156 exp
Reply #6 — Posted 3yr ago
by EvoMotors | Master | 8,156 exp
Skewworks says:

I've done some rework of the case. It's slightly shorter (though still just a tad too talk for 200mm beds), I've reduced the material volume by a good bit, pushed the legs out further, moved the components, and updated the curves.

What do we think? Anymore feedback on this one?

Looks good.

The printbed on my delta is 280mm.
3 likes
Reply #7 — Posted 3yr ago (modified)
Reply #7 — Posted 3yr ago (modified)
You guys all rock!

In the small span of time since I posted the print was too much and was going to try a redesign with laser cut I've had 3 print offers and a bunch of suggestions on how to reduce the material volume or split the case to let it fit a smaller bed.

This is just one of the reasons why I love this community. Never, ever leaving.

I put one more hole through the base to reduce materials a bit more and got the new backing modeled. Smiley

I so cannot wait to see Eve's face. I'm putting all my best gear inside this thing along with my latest software.

My splicer's material report:
Front 192.2cm3
Back 40.1cm3
Reply #8 — Posted 3yr ago
by njbuch | King | 26,158 exp
Reply #8 — Posted 3yr ago
by njbuch | King | 26,158 exp
@Skewworks - Well done, let us know the cost.
Reply #9 — Posted 3yr ago
Reply #9 — Posted 3yr ago
njbuch says:
@Skewworks - Well done, let us know the cost.

If I went with shapeways front and back together would be $327.40 at the lowest end. Back alone with is $53.98.

Page 1 of 7 out of 67 messages.

You must be logged in to reply.