by ianlee74 | Superhuman | 127,688 exp
Insane. I love the look of this one.
Reply #2 — Posted 3yr ago
by Brett | Superhuman | 125,590 exp
Reply #2 — Posted 3yr ago
by Brett | Superhuman | 125,590 exp
ianlee74 says:
Insane. I love the look of this one.

me too. Seems like they don't need the modified cube the other one we recently saw needed,
1 like
Reply #3 — Posted 3yr ago
by godefroi | Legend | 43,071 exp
Reply #3 — Posted 3yr ago
@Brett - I dunno; either they modified the cube in the same way, or they've made the "fingers" that grip the middle piece thin enough to not interfere with the motion of the other pieces. It's not clear which.
Reply #4 — Posted 3yr ago
Reply #4 — Posted 3yr ago
godefroi says:
@Brett - I dunno; either they modified the cube in the same way, or they've made the "fingers" that grip the middle piece thin enough to not interfere with the motion of the other pieces. It's not clear which.

Looks to me that it just grips the center cube.
2 likes
Reply #5 — Posted 3yr ago
by mtylerjr | King | 24,672 exp
Reply #5 — Posted 3yr ago
by mtylerjr | King | 24,672 exp
It would be fun to watch one work on an unsolvable cube (with some of the color squares swapped)

Although, it would probably just result in an instant "algorithm error: not solvable state", and not a star-trek-like "Error! Error! Please explain!" overload and smokey explosion.
Reply #6 — Posted 3yr ago (modified)
by Aron_ghielectroncs | Employee
Reply #6 — Posted 3yr ago (modified)
by Aron_ghielectroncs | Employee
It looks as if they did indeed modify it. If you look at about 9 seconds into the video and pause when you see the yellow square, you can see that they have notches in the black part of the plastic. It is not as obvious as the previously posted modified cube video.
Reply #7 — Posted 3yr ago
Reply #7 — Posted 3yr ago
Yeah, looks like they modified it. Still impressive, but much simpler from a mechanical engineering perspective when all you have to do is drive three stepper motors. Breaking the record will now only involve larger steppers and a faster CPU running the solver algorithm.
3 likes
Reply #8 — Posted 3yr ago (modified)
by Dave McLaughlin | Legend | 58,471 exp
Reply #8 — Posted 3yr ago (modified)
by Dave McLaughlin | Legend | 58,471 exp
The machines are cool but I saw this guy fool Penn and Teller at the weekend. The cubes seem to be slightly modified as they move with very little friction but this is damned impressive slight of hand magic at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwDAXC0_Bxk
Reply #9 — Posted 3yr ago
by dobova | Hero | 12,563 exp
Reply #9 — Posted 3yr ago
by dobova | Hero | 12,563 exp
Uh impressive! But if I were to do something like this, I would have used springs or sort of magnets to bring cube at start position (solved), from whatever position with 0 friction rotations using ball bearings ... Dancing

Page 1 of 2 out of 11 messages.

You must be logged in to reply.