You have reached the legacy GHI Electronics, LLC website, for the new website please visit here. For the new forum please visit here.

This legacy website will be taken offline at the end of this year. If there is anything that you would like to archive and save for future reference please do so.

You must be logged in to reply.

Page 1 of 3 out of 29 messages.

I would like a Gadgeteer Capacitive 5" LCD

Posted 3yr ago
by Bill_Wyo | Senior | 2,584 exp
Posted 3yr ago
I need a larger display. Dave's creation looks like it would work. I want to buy two or three. It looks like I need to buy 10 to get a good price from Turnkey. Is there some way to get prospective buyers together to get a good price and just as important, is there a driver?
Reply #1 — Posted 3yr ago
by Skewworks | Legend | 69,841 exp
Reply #1 — Posted 3yr ago
by Skewworks | Legend | 69,841 exp
Yeah, I'd be down for one.
4 likes
Reply #2 — Posted 3yr ago
by charlieHustle | Senior | 3,452 exp
Reply #2 — Posted 3yr ago
I have a couple of these Gadgeteer adapters for the Newhaven 5.0 display.
2 likes
Reply #3 — Posted 3yr ago
by Dave McLaughlin | Legend | 58,471 exp
Reply #3 — Posted 3yr ago
There is no need for a driver for the LCD itself. Just setup your LCD with the following in Fezconfig (thanks to Simon)

Width ------------------------------ 800
Height ----------------------------- 480
Output Enabled is Fixed ----- True
Output Enable Polarity ------- True
Horizontal Sync Polarity ----- False
Vertical Sync Polarity --------- False
Pixel Polarity -------------------- True

Horizontal Sync Pulse Width-1
HorizontalBack Porch --------- 88
Horizontal Front Porth --------- 40
Vertical Sync Pulse Width ---- 3
Vertical Back Porch ------------ 32
Vertical Front Porch ------------ 13
Pixel Clock Rate ---------------- 25,000

For the touch driver, Simon posted this in creations a while back.

https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/codeshare/entry/794

I modified this to use a software I2C on the G400 due to issues. On the G120 is works well. If you have any other devices using I2C you will have to modify it to share the bus.

Another top tip from Simon is to enable the overlocking on the G120. Makes a huge difference.

// OVERCLOCK G120 EXTERNAL MEMORY CONTROLLER
Register EMCCLKSEL = new Register(0x400FC100);
EMCCLKSEL.ClearBits(1 << 0); // OVERDRIVE

PS. My board will drive the 7" Newhaven display too but the connector layout is different but electrically they are identical. If you would like a 7" layout version, let me know and I will create it?
Reply #4 — Posted 3yr ago
Reply #4 — Posted 3yr ago
@charlieHustle - I cannot find any information on these adapters. Are they still being sold?
Reply #5 — Posted 3yr ago
Reply #5 — Posted 3yr ago
@Dave McLaughlin - This looks like a project that is within my ability. Thank you for responding and helping me understand what is involved. If an order with Turnkey is pursued then it appears 8 non-stocked items would have to be procured in addition to the LCD for each unit. So it looks like the per unit cost for a larger LCD would be about $120 if an order for 10 boards was placed. That would be $23 for each board, about $20 for the non-stocked items and $60 for the 5" LCD. Do you think I am in the ballpark here?
Reply #6 — Posted 3yr ago
Reply #6 — Posted 3yr ago
@Bill_Wyo - I never put the adapters up for sale, I just had them for personal use. But I have a few that I am not using so I could sell you one or two.
Reply #7 — Posted 3yr ago
by Sprigo | Hero | 12,912 exp
Reply #7 — Posted 3yr ago
by Sprigo | Hero | 12,912 exp
@charlieHustle - Shame you didn't put them up for sale as I would be interested in a few. I was on the verge of ordering a couple of Dave's 7" when they got pulled.
Reply #8 — Posted 3yr ago
Reply #8 — Posted 3yr ago
@Sprigo. I had to pull them. Being based in Indonesia means the shipping costs were too high unless someone ordered quite a few and the import costs in this country is too high so buying the LCD from the USA means adding about 30% to the cost when it lands.

The local shipping companies did offer a lower price but not by much and dealing with them was too much hassle. If I could get volumes DHL would offer me a better price.

The 5" is still up on Tindie but I've never even had a quote request or anything for them Sad

That price for 10 boards sounds good.
Reply #9 — Posted 3yr ago
Reply #9 — Posted 3yr ago
@charlieHustle - thank you for the offer. I am trying to figure out what to do and may take you up on the offer.

Page 1 of 3 out of 29 messages.

You must be logged in to reply.