You have reached the legacy GHI Electronics, LLC website, for the new website please visit here. For the new forum please visit here.

This legacy website will be taken offline at the end of this year. If there is anything that you would like to archive and save for future reference please do so.

You must be logged in to reply.

Page 2 of 7 out of 61 messages.

Modlab Site

Reply #10 — Posted 4yr ago
by Simon from Vilnius | King | 26,250 exp
Reply #10 — Posted 4yr ago
@HughB - not sure "selling each other's modules" is going to work well. Management, supply, money and insurance issues will kill us. Interesting stuff happens when it comes to money Smiley

My idea was relaying all the management to a 3rd party, focusing on supplying modules.

Take tindie.com, for example. I spent quite some time browsing it, and I think I'll give it a try. It's a website where people come looking for gadgets. All we need now is a good supply of Gadgeteer stuff there. If I list there my SimplePower module only, I probably won't get many customers; however, if you list your stuff there and give links to my stuff, and I give links to your stuff, it might work. We need a critical mass of Gadgeteer modules, so somebody, accidentally passing by, could get attracted, ending up in buying a fully functional set — mainboards, modules, cables, wires, examples. There's plenty of good stuff on GHI Creations section, but there's no easy way to buy it!
Reply #11 — Posted 4yr ago
by Dave McLaughlin | Legend | 58,471 exp
Reply #11 — Posted 4yr ago
by Dave McLaughlin | Legend | 58,471 exp
Simon from Vilnius says:

@HughB - not sure "selling each other's modules" is going to work well. Management, supply, money and insurance issues will kill us. Interesting stuff happens when it comes to money Smiley

That is quite a valid point Simon.

There's plenty of good stuff on GHI Creations section, but there's no easy way to buy it!

True. I've been waiting long time for the Bolt module for months now. Not the creators fault but the crappy postal service in this country. 3 months in and nothing so far. Sad
Reply #12 — Posted 3yr ago
by HughB | Hero | 18,611 exp
Reply #12 — Posted 3yr ago
@Simon from Vilnius - As Dave says you make a very good point. The tindie thing looks interesting though. The creations site is a good way to showcase community made stuff but you are right there is no easy way to buy.
Reply #13 — Posted 3yr ago
by mhectorgato | King | 37,168 exp
Reply #13 — Posted 3yr ago
by mhectorgato | King | 37,168 exp
@Simon from Vilnius - I've had this thought as well. Eventually I want to offer my own modules, so I thought having a site full of different creator's modules would lend credence to the site.

A rising tide lifts all the boats.

Was going to start building such a site actually, but other projects has really impeded my side-project time. I started to build out a DB and play with setting up ASP.NET WebAPI and MVC sites in Azure.

But my time for that sort of thing (and module making) has largely went the way of the Dodo.
Reply #14 — Posted 3yr ago (modified)
Reply #14 — Posted 3yr ago (modified)
mhectorgato says:

Was going to start building such a site actually, but other projects has really impeded my side-project time.

That's exactly why I went for an off the shelf freebie store (prestashop) and wordpress site running on a subdomain for the blog.

EDIT: Thinking about it why don't we all put permanent links to each others webstores? that way we can generate more referral traffic and make more people aware of the community effort. Also if you have a blog then post about each others creations ??
7 likes
Reply #15 — Posted 3yr ago
Reply #15 — Posted 3yr ago
So, I've started already:

https://www.tindie.com/stores/stabilitronas/

Waiting for others!

By the way, they introduced "markets" concept recently. I've created a Gadgeteer market, but we need 10 people to unlock it. So, who's with me Huh

https://www.tindie.com/m/gadgeteer/
1 like
Reply #16 — Posted 3yr ago
Reply #16 — Posted 3yr ago
looks interesting. if we can get 10 that would work..
Incidentally did anything interesting come out of the Microsoft embedded / IoT conf? I haven't had chance to see if there was anything new....
Reply #17 — Posted 3yr ago
by dominik38 | Senior | 2,476 exp
Reply #17 — Posted 3yr ago
by dominik38 | Senior | 2,476 exp
I'm in! So only 8 left Cheesy
Reply #18 — Posted 3yr ago
by Justin | Superhuman | 90,900 exp
Reply #18 — Posted 3yr ago
by Justin | Superhuman | 90,900 exp
In like a robbers dog... Grin
Reply #19 — Posted 3yr ago
by munderhill | Hero | 15,538 exp