Order by
Group by
Topic

Looking for all posts by marius

Page 1 of 2 out of 35 messages.

RE:Building on the great relationship we have with our distributors by marius on Jun 29, 2017 at 2:00am

Gary says:
You act like we are breaking up. Cool

First their is the break with Gadgeteer, now this.....

It indeed feels like breaking up....

Snooty

....but be that is it may, as longs as it leads to more focus on better products, I am all for it. Tongue

RE:SPI TinyClr by marius on May 11, 2017 at 2:29am

For the actual reversing of the byte, I found the following to be a nice tradeoff between speed, size and maintainability....

unsigned char reverse(unsigned char b) {
   b = (b & 0xF0) >> 4 | (b & 0x0F) << 4;
   b = (b & 0xCC) >> 2 | (b & 0x33) << 2;
   b = (b & 0xAA) >> 1 | (b & 0x55) << 1;
   return b;
}

(http://www.hackersdelight.org/)

A lookup table will probably be the fastest but has the biggest size.
Array stepping is the most understandable (maintainability), but is probably the slowest.

RE:Tech Talk with Gus 02 - 0.96" 128x64 OLED display by marius on Nov 1, 2016 at 2:28am

dweaver says:

Here is my new vb class library that can be used in vb or C#. I have also included a test application in vb and c#.

Public Class oled

Shared SSD1306_LCDHEIGHT As Integer = 64
Shared SSD1306_LCDWIDTH As Integer = 128
Shared SSD1306_I2C_ADDRESS As UShort = (&H3C)

I agree with @rockybooth, very nice to see some VB code... Smiley

May I suggest changing those lines to be Const(ant). If you do not specify a scope they will be Public by default.

Const SSD1306_LCDHEIGHT As Integer = 64
Const SSD1306_LCDWIDTH As Integer = 128
Const SSD1306_I2C_ADDRESS As UShort = &H3C

RE:Tech Talk with Gus 02 - 0.96" 128x64 OLED display by marius on Oct 15, 2016 at 4:54am

I miss the beauty of Gadgeteer sockets.... Whistling

RE:The future of Gadgeteer... by marius on Sep 2, 2016 at 3:50am

Noooooo!!! This is very sad news.

Gadgeteer has opened up a total new world to me. I am a programmer by trade, without any electronics background, but this style of tinkering has brought me lots of joy and happiness over the past few years. Heck, using a Spider I, a USB-SeriaI and the Extender, I even got a far a creating and ISP for programming an Atmel ATTiny45 that mimicked the STK500 protocol and can be used directly from Atmel Studio. This would not have been possible without Gadgeteer for me personally. But I do not do this for a living, so I do not buy any Gadgeteer related things in volumes.

I do understand that, from a business point of view, if you cannot make money out of it, then there is no use continuing.

Can I just ask a stupid question? If not Gageteer, how else will we connect sensors, etc.? Arduino shield style?

RE:Snippet - Basic Moving Average Filter by marius on May 27, 2016 at 5:22am

Dave McLaughlin says:

I've used JohnSMith's one and it works extremely well handling an analog input and smooths it out.

Using a shift instead of a division?
It should still work, just much faster. The problem is, as stated by @ianlee74 that you are "limited" to buffer size that must be a power of 2, so it depends on how big or small the buffer must be to get a nice smooth result.Jumping from a buffer size of 10 to 16 might still be fine, but going from say a random 80 to 128 might be too big and the reverse of 64 might be too small....

RE:Snippet - Basic Moving Average Filter by marius on May 27, 2016 at 2:49am

@ianlee74: That is a good link

@Mr. Jon Smith: Sorry, I am not close to anything to be able to test it, by why don't you take the example posted by @ianlee74 and try it for yourself. It will be interesting to see the results. Wink

RE:Snippet - Basic Moving Average Filter by marius on May 26, 2016 at 2:55am

If you make that buffer length a power of 2, you should be able to make it faster by applying a shift operator instead of a division?

RE:Snippet - Patch for NETMF under VS2015 by marius on Oct 27, 2015 at 2:18am

@mcalsyn - Thanks. No hurry. At least I can now continue to tinker.... Cheesy

and maybe just switch over to C#, but then again, it was precisely because of the support for VB that brought me to the .Net Micro Framework and to this site and forum. Grin

It has opened up a total new world to me (and I am sure to a lot of other VB developers). I am still at the tinkering stage, but the issues with VB makes it, at this stage, not really an option for doing anything real. For that I will probably need to switch over to C#, but this is digressing and a topic all on its own...

RE:Snippet - Patch for NETMF under VS2015 by marius on Oct 26, 2015 at 10:46am

OK, removing that VBCToolExe and VbcToolPath elements from "VisualBasic.Targets" for 4.3, solves my problem for both vS2012 and VS2013.

RE:Snippet - Patch for NETMF under VS2015 by marius on Oct 26, 2015 at 10:25am

I tested this on VS2013 (against 4.3) just now, and still get the same error...

Let me undo the changes as suggested by @mcalsyn and see what happens.

RE:Snippet - Patch for NETMF under VS2015 by marius on Oct 26, 2015 at 9:51am

Man, you guys (or dolls) are sometimes too fast when answering posts. Smiley

@andre.m - I have modified the post. This happens in 2012 Embarrassed

So why is this happening? Applying the fix was the only change I have made in the recent past.

RE:Snippet - Patch for NETMF under VS2015 by marius on Oct 26, 2015 at 9:21am

This does not work in VS2012 against a Visual Basic project for 4.3.

vbc : Fatal error BC2000: compiler initialization failed unexpectedly: Project already has a reference to assembly mscorlib. A second reference to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.3\Assemblies\le\mscorlib.dll' cannot be added.

Just create a default VB Micro Framework Console application and then run it. The default project already has a mscorlib reference. Removing this reference manually, does not work.

RE:Azure IoT Hub - A new Azure Service, Discovered today in the … by marius on Oct 24, 2015 at 5:08pm

Found my problem and the problem is not my subscription, but me Embarrassed

I was trying this with Visual Studio 2013....
The tutorial clearly states to use Visual Studio 2015 (where did that came from? Embarrassed )

Switched over to Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition and now it works!

@AWSOMEDEVSIGNER - Thanks for trying to help. It's heroes like you that make us small people persevere. Wink

RE:Azure IoT Hub - A new Azure Service, Discovered today in the … by marius on Oct 23, 2015 at 3:56am

@AWSOMEDEVSIGNER - Thanks for the reply. Smiley
The source code is as provided in the link to the tutorial. Copied and Pasted as is.

I get the same error when running the Device Explorer and on the Data tab, selecting the device (that I am able to create) and clicking on Monitor. So, I am starting to think the problem is not with the code, but with some configuration problem of my subscription on Azure, but I do not have a clue as to where to start looking.

RE:Azure IoT Hub - A new Azure Service, Discovered today in the … by marius on Oct 20, 2015 at 11:55am

I am trying to follow the tutorial here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/iot-hub-csharp-csharp-getstarted/

I can create the device in the registry fine without any issues with both the Device Explorer and through the code in the tutorial.
But when I try the part for "Receive device-to-cloud messages" I get the following error:

System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: The server rejected the upgrade request. 404 Not Found

I get it when trying to "GetRuntimeInformation().

I have tried it with both the free and paid tiers.

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Any help will be appreciated.

[VB] MSBuild fails after doing a /t:Clean, with an error about a … by marius on Oct 14, 2015 at 2:46am

When I create a default NetMF Windows application in VB, I can build and run it just fine through the VS2013 IDE and the emulator. I can "Clean" the solution and rebuild and run without any issues.

However, doing this outside the ide, in a command prompt it fails. Doing this for a default C# NetMF Window application works without any problems.

Try this:
  • Create a default VB NetMF window application. Ensure it can build and run in the emulator.
  • Now open a VS2013 developer command prompt and goto the directory of the solution file.
  • Run MSBuild (no extra arguments, it should pick up the sln file and build it). It should build just fine without any issues.
  • Now do a clean: MSBuild /t:Clean. This will not throw any errors.
  • Now run MSBuild again (not extra paramters). This build constantly fails, no matter how many times you do it.

"C:\Users\XXX\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\MFWindowApplication1\MFWindowApplication1.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Users\XXX\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\MFWindowApplication1\MFWindowApplication1\MFWindowApplication1.vbproj" (default target) (2) ->
(CoreCompile target) ->
vbc : Fatal error BC2000: compiler initialization failed unexpectedly: Project already has a reference to assembly mscorlib. A second reference to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.3\Assemblies\le\mscorlib.dll' cannot be added. [C:\Users\XXX\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\MFWindowApplication1\MFWindowApplication1\MFWindowApplication1.vbproj]

Now go back into the ide and try and rebuild and run. The first run (normally) fails. From the second one it normally starts running. I say normally because this is not consistent (and it is very worrying).

Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 4.0.30319.34209
[Microsoft .NET Framework, version 4.0.30319.34209]
NetMF version 4.3

Can anyone else verify this, please?

RE:Forum home page format by marius on May 17, 2015 at 12:35pm

Yippeee!!! Dancing

25 lines are back.

Thank you.
Clapping

RE:Forum home page format by marius on May 13, 2015 at 3:53pm

I agree, a way of easily working through the list might work, but a longer list will work just a well. A longer list might just be easier to implement because I am sure the number of items to display is hidden in the Web Server code for this site somewhere. Whistling

Simon from Vilnius says:
@Josh - I'm not interested in every message, but with a list of only 10 elements, interesting topics can get easily burried. Buttons might also work.

RE:Forum home page format by marius on May 12, 2015 at 2:48am

So what is the use of the Dashboard page if you cannot use it?

The Dashboard page gives a nice overview of what is happening on the site. It also contains the links to the important parts of the site on left, like Task Tracker.

The Unread page only focuses on what I have not yet read and with links to actively manage my posts. Now, unfortunately, I am looking at this site from a very dumb hobbyist eye, so for me, who does not do a lot of posting because my skill level is not there yet, actively managing my posts is not my main concern. However, reading about what is going, is. Smiley

So please increase the number of lines on the Dashboard page. The previous length of 25 was a good limit for someone who only visits the site once a day. Please.

Page 1 of 2 out of 35 messages.